Tuesday, March 22, 2005

What can I say now?

I've got to preach this weekend. I'm thinking I'll preach on Job.

That seems like an odd choice, I mean, it's Easter, after all . . . shouldn't the sermon be about Jesus and the resurrection? Well . . . yes.

But Job is a man with troubles. He loses everything, and he had a lot to lose. His "friends" come by to comfort him, but after sitting around a few days they decide they'd rather tell him it's all his fault. His wife nags at him, "Oh, for crying out loud, Job, just curse God and die!" So it's worse than just losing everything--it's losing everything and then having people you thought you could trust turning the screws tighter.

That sounds a lot like the life that I know, and probably a lot like the life that you know. But Job says just one thing, one thing that made me think that I'll talk about him this Sunday: "For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another."

Job's world is rocked, but not his faith. He knows that his Redeemer is a living Redeemer, that God lives on, and one fine day we will be able to see Him with our own eyes, to touch Him with our own hands . . . that He'll wipe the tears from our eyes and say "Well done, my good and faithful servant," and that everything will finally be okay, that it will be right, that it will be good.

Yeah, I think that'll preach.

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought Easter should be a weekend to preach what the people in the pews really need to hear, not what they want to hear. For many, this is the one chance you will have to share with them. Give them the "nice" easter story they've all heard before, and they'll be happy they went, emotionally lifted, and not catch a single bit of what you were really saying. But, change things up and share Christ's love through other, unexpected, stories, and maybe they'll hear the message, not just the story.

    ReplyDelete