Thursday, August 25, 2005

The bitter root . . .

of jealousy and envy is a difficult elixir to swallow. Oddly enough I try to do it anyway.

What is the point behind this? Why would I feel a need to compare myself to others? Do I really need to tear them down in my mind so that their accomplishments can be mediated in my shortsightedness?

This bile, this excrement, this sin must be eliminated. Like a weed, it grows quickly and silently, choking the good vine that must now struggle to grow. Pull it out by the roots, cut it out from my heart, remove it from my eyes.


Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the
joy
of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit,
to sustain me.

Then

I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you.

Save me from bloodguilt, O God,
the God who saves me,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment